List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Before we go into Beta
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobaconlists () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-05-08 14:27:11

--- Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz@cobol2java.com> wrote:
> An installation program means for me that I can
> download a tiny program and
> run it - then It will be able to download all the
> files from either
> ftp.kde.org, another mirror, or a cd-r I'm burning
> at work - and then
> installing it. Look at Helix installer how it
> handles it - they did an
> excellent job there.

I totally agree. We need to provide a simple wizard
like installation program that is pretty and easy to
use. The program should allow for a network, hard disk
or CDROM/DVD installation, and be able to set up the
things like themes, keyboard, icons etc.

> You must remember that you're dealing with end users
> here who probably
> won't understand too much why do they need QT 2.1,
> where to put the files,
> which modifications they need to do to their
> .bash_profile/.profile files,
> and how to switch back and forth from KDE 1 to KDE2
> - and vice versa..

Exactly...if KDE is really easy to use...whats the
point in working this hard on it if no end user can
install it!

> These people are not developers who can just
> download from CVS, compile,
> modify script and run - these are end users..

My thoughts precicely, and to be quite honest, I am
surprised there has been so much opposition to the
idea.

Cheers,

        Jono

=====