List:       kde-devel
Subject:    gethostbyname() konqueror problem
From:       Vid Stojevic <Sizif () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       2000-05-04 19:18:37

With kde2 cvs I've had the problem that konqueror won't start if I am on
line. If started from a terminal it actually appears on the screen with an
error dialogue box saying that it can't talk to klauncher. The console
output says that gethostbyname() returnedwith an error (in addition to the
klaucher thing).

I have not been able to find a similar problem in any of the lists, so I
suspect that the problem is with me. My linux box is really !my linux
box!: the last time I installed a distribution it was red hat 4.0 and have
upgraded things by myself since them.

I suspect the reason is in my screwing with two aspects of the network
setup in the past: 1) firewall and samba setup for vmware, which I don't
use any more, and 2) nameserver installation which i did a long time ago
for no good reason (my computer is stand-alone). I don';t know what I
could have done since I didn't fully understand what i was donig, just
following howto instructions, and would appreciate it if someone could
help,

Vid

P.S. Something else that might help: "nslookup localhost" gives
localhost:127.0.0.1 when online, but gets stuck offline,

Server:  sizif.kamen
Address: 0.0.0.0

...and doesn't exit. As if I'm running a server, when i'm not.