List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Pop-up windows always on top?
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-05-02 7:10:04

> > > I am a bit... unsure about when to use modeless and non-modeless windows,
> > > in fact. When a parent is given (i.e. modeless I suppose), then you can't
> > > do anything in the parent window - which is often annoying, and when
> > > it is created without a parent (i.e. non-modeless?), then it can
> > > "disappear" under the other windows. That's life I suppose... no perfect solution...
> >
> > >From a usebility perspective all windows that require you to enter info and are
> > closed afterwards should be non-modeless (ie have a parent)
> >
> > The problem described in the origional thread where the window disappears is
> > a more real-life problem then you might imagine.
> >
> > Consider this:
> > - with a small dialog and a window-to-front mouse setting any modeless dialog
> > will be lost in no time.
> > - dialogs often have no taskbar entry, which makes them impossible to access.
>
> Yes, but at the same time it's nice when a dialog such as "search in text"
> is non-modeless, so that you can edit the text a bit, then keep searching.

That is a dialog that should not close after text is entered, I am not talking
about these.

A reverse rule could be that windows which can still do usefull things while
the dialog is open. The dialog should be non-modeless

--
Thomas Zander                                              zander@earthling.net
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5