List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Pop-up windows always on top?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-01 20:22:22

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:12:01PM +0200, Thomas wrote:

> > Shouldn't non-modeless windows of an application always be on top of any
> > other windows of the application?
> >
> Yes it should.
>
> on a related issue, selecting an icon for an kdesktop.desktop entry (in the
> properties dialog) a window comes up which is modeless. I believe this one
> should be non-modeless.

Hmm, I made it the way it is (I'm confused by the naming. modeless ==
has a parent window ?) following to a user's report... He "lost the window",
much the way described at the beginning of the thread.

I am a bit... unsure about when to use modeless and non-modeless windows,
in fact. When a parent is given (i.e. modeless I suppose), then you can't
do anything in the parent window - which is often annoying, and when
it is created without a parent (i.e. non-modeless?), then it can
"disappear" under the other windows. That's life I suppose... no perfect solution...

http://home.clara.net/faure/