List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde build script extra advanced
From:       Michael Matz <matzmich () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2000-04-30 21:40:03

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > See my previous post on the subject. It is not done by default because
> > not all the "install" programs support it. The shipped one
> > (install-sh) doesn't AFAIK (or maybe it does, but it's not used when
> > there is a system install, probably because install-sh is slower),

No it doesn't support it. (it's not really simple to compare file with
shell tools portably or set the modification time).

> > and the BSD one doesn't either.

Strange. Before GNU fileutils 4.x I used my own hacked version of the
FreeBSD version of install, which supported -p (even fancier than GNU, it
actually _compares_ the files). So at least one BSD install supported it
;)

> > So the only thing we could do would be to test the 'install' program, if
> > one was found, to see if it supports -p. But I don't know how this is
> > feasible - testing for 'install' is mostly built-in in autoconf...
> > Let's ask our experts : Michael ? Stephan ? :)
> Well, like the post about install-strip shows, we have to work after the
> autoconf one anyway ;(

Hmm. I must have missed (or forgot ;) ) that mail. What was it about?

> But for the implementation, I'm afraid I will have to give away the
> torch.

Anyway, I just commited an ugly M4 macro (one could say it's an autoconf
macro, but as it is so ugly...) to override the autoconf default for
searching a suitable configure. Its actually further uglified by the fact,
that I tried to reuse the old macro, without including its GPL'ed code
into our LGPL'ed acinclude.m4.in. If you haven't set the $INSTALL, it
tests install for a -p flag. If that worked, it uses it. So beware, if -p
for your install means "eat flaming death" you loose. But as I see it,
either -p gets ignored, does something reasonable or it's not supported on
the installs I read the manpages from. So try it.

Ciao,
Michael.