List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: calling pluginscan in kdeinit
From:       Stefan Schimanski <1Stein () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-04-30 18:43:48

Am Sun, 30 Apr 2000 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like to add pluginscan (that registers netscape plugins) into the
> > start process of KDE. I would launch it in kdeinit like klauncher and
> > kdesktop. Is this the right place to do this?
>
> Definitly not. correct me if I'm wrong, but netscape plugins are only
> useful for webbrowsing, no?

Maybe I have to explain why I want to start it there:
pluginscan scans several local dirs to find netscape plugins. for these it
creates .desktop mime definitions in the user's ~/.kde directory to set the
nsplugin kpart as the default app for those files.
Because the user can install new plugins as he wants we have to find out
about it before any plugin code can be run.
We have to start pluginscan somewhere, optimally on every startup. We can't
do this anywhere in the nsplugin code because this is loaded as a kpart as
reaction on an installed mime type. Somehow we have to create these mime
definition at first.
Is there another way to this than in kdeinit? Then please tell me.

Stefan