List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion for better icon layout on kicker
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobaconlists () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-04-29 14:44:41

--- Matthias Elter <m_elter@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Kicker is a great panel..but one suggestion I do
> have
> > is regarding the icons near the main 'K'
> application
> > starter.
> >
> > The icons next to the 'K' are shortcuts to opening
> > programs such as Konquerer. The trouble is that
> these
> > icons (a) take up too much space and (b) as they
> are
> > the same size as the main 'K' icon...divert
> attention
> > from the 'K' icon being the main point of focus on
> the
> > panel. Also these icons are too big..and the user
> can
> > only have a certain amount of them on the panel.
> >
> > I suggest that these icons can be made half the
> size
> > (about the same height as a taskbar entry) so
> there
> > are two lines of icons instead. This would make
> the
> > panel look clearer...give the user more space for
> > icons...and give the 'K' icon a bit more attention
> in
> > being the focus of the panel.
> >
> > We should of course ensure this icon style is
> > configurable.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >          Jono
>
> kicker is designed to have full-height buttons and
> applets only. What you
> recommend requires a major rewrite...which I'm not
> going to work on. Also
> people are used to full-height buttons from kpanel
> and GNOME panel.

Hmmm...I see what you are saying...but I think that
people are used to it as they havent had the
alternative.

> If you need more panel space for app launcher
> buttons why not implement a
> launcher applet. There is a GNOME panel applet that
> contains multiple smaller
> launch buttons.

This applet could be good for a short term
soloution...but do you think in a future kicker we
could have the rows of buttons. The applet could site
in place of the current full size icons.

Cheers,

        Jono

=====