List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for regular expression widget.
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-24 14:45:22

Jesper Pedersen wrote:

> I've decided to develop a regular expression builder widget for KDE, and I
> would be happy to get some feedback from all of you before I start coding
> (This is a new strategy I have a patent for - thinking before coding ;-)

[proposal snipped]

> I'm looking forward to hear all your comments, suggestions, etc.

Very, very cool! This could be used in many places, like kfind and
edit->find.

IMHO the GUI is critical for this. You can't expect a normal user to
understand regexps so the GUI has to be really well thought out.

Two requests:
* Could you use symbolic names or icons for the operators *, ?, + etc.
* Display (the ascii representation of) the regex while building. This way
users can learn the regex syntax while playing with this.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>