List:       kde-devel
Subject:    CodeWeb update:  simplified UI & new features
From:       Amir Michail <amir () cs ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-23 2:01:35

Hi,

I have made some changes to the KDE reuse patterns:

* the UI is simplified and less cluttered; usage of frames is kept at a minimum

* you can now look for "similar classes"; for example, you can find classes
defined in other packages that are similar to those in your application (and
so, you might consider using those classes or possibly collaborating with other
authors to produce a reusable library class from the similar application
classes)

* the help text has been improved

* the reuse pattern data now only requires 1/3 the disk space as before

Right now, you can find reuse patterns for KDE-1.1.2 at:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/se/www/kde/reuse_patterns/

I'll have those for a recent snapshot of KDE-2 ready in a week or so.  I'll also
provide copies in ftp.

I would appreciate any feedback on the UI & help text before then to make this
as usable as possible.

Thanks,

Amir

P.S.

Just in case you are not familiar with this work,
the CodeWeb tool suite automatically extracts tutorial-like information
in the form of reuse patterns. By browsing reuse patterns in combination with
existing library reference documentation and application source code, a
developer can learn to use a library by example in much the same way as
studying manually constructed tutorials and/or toy programs.