List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-21 19:05:26

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 01:54:07PM -0500, mosfet wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> ...snip...
> > > Come on Waldo, even the KIO developers have said KIO for local files is
> > > slow and suggested you use fread/write when speed is essential. Quit
> > > trying to deny there is a problem.
> >
> > No-one denies that doing things in another process is on the whole
> > slower than doing them directly. No way it can be the same speed or
> > faster (since the remote process does what you would do directly).
> > The question is how big is the difference and whether it's acceptable or not.
> >
> > Waldo is right, all this are just rumours up to now. Somebody comes up
> > with the idea that something is slow and everyone takes it for granted.
> >

> No, what happened is someone posted about KIO being slow. You want
> actual figures, here you go:
>
> Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I did some performance test of the KIO library and was very disappointed. A
> > SimpleJob reading a local file only transfered 180-200 KB/s. Reading with stdio
> > functions (fopen, fread, etc.) transfer more than 3000 KB/s! Although KIO works
> > in background with signals and slots it should be faster I think. Is there any
> > chance to speed it up?
> >

> Now that is *slow*. It's not a rumor, the thing isn't good for local
> file processing and to most of us using KIO makes it unacceptable in
> their applications. I know you all put hard work into KIO, but this is a
> legit bug report (and it *is* a bug IMHO).

Yes, yes. Once again I wasn't replying to this but to people saying
"konqueror is slower than mc/kfm/windows" without any reason to say so
(i.e. almost the other half of the thread).

As I already said, I agree that implementing a local get/put using fread/fwrite
and kfile's !probably_slow_mounted would be a good thing, to speed
up load and save in most KDE apps. I may have a look at it if I finish
the other things at hand first (quite a lot) and if Waldo doesn't beat me
to it :/

http://home.clara.net/faure/