List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-21 9:59:58

Stephan Kulow wrote:

...snip...

> > Just more of my 2c from someone who remains pretty much clueless about
> > the internals of KIO ;-)
> >
> Well, as Waldo already pointed out: optimizing the block size should
> help already a lot. And an optimization for "file:" is not the problem
> I guess. But it's a f**ing work to add this and do it right.

Sure, but I can see it gaining us a lot and you would be loved by all us
non-KIO developers if it was implemented :) My main point is I would
like to see people using KIO for all their document handling, not it be
something just used in Konq and a few apps. I would like *all* KDE2 apps
to be internet transparent when doing things like loading and saving
documents. Developers won't do it if it's much slower than normal I/O
for local files, or if they have to maintain different sets of code. It
would be much easier on people if they can just learn KIO and use it all
the time. That's the perspective I'm coming from, which I think is a
little different from what people have been currently looking at -
getting it working well in Konq.

I can imagine it being a nasty hack adding it, and I feel somewhat
awkward strongly advocating an architecture point about software I just
use and don't contribute to. Everything stated here is just my opinion
as a user of the library, but I hope a vaild one ;-)

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org