List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-21 9:25:44

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > Forgive me if this sound naive, but I was under the impression that KIO
> > should be used whenever possible, in order to promote said "transparency".
>
> Whenever it makes sense, yes.
>
> > If you insist that ppl use which ever method is more appropriate, then use
> > fread for local files and nfs or ftp for network operations, and skip KIO
> > altogether.
>
> And blocking your whole application on slow NFS reads... I think you will
> love GNOMEs gmc.

Or ls, or cp ;-)

Remember, the vast majority of our users probably never used, nor never
will use, NFS. Killing local file performance, which affects all users,
to handle a situation that affects by far a minority of them is not
acceptable IMHO. I'm pretty confident most KDE users are using things
like ppp and *no* network filesystems at all - be it NFS, SMB, Novell
NCP, etc...

Now again, I'm not saying that launching a separate process and not
blocking is bad for NFS. It's bad for I/O with local files in many cases
tho, and that is going to be occuring in the vast majority of cases. You
optimize for *that*, the most common situation that affects users the
most, and include hacks for the infrequent scenarios. Especially since
Coolo seems to already have the beginning of a way to check and do the
right thing :)

Providing this as an option in KIO is much nicer than requiring
developers not to use KIO at all and fread/fwrite when speed is
important. If you do that (which is the suggested solution), you have
all the problems with NFS *anyways*. All you managed to do is require
the developer to maintain 2 sets of code.

Just more of my 2c from someone who remains pretty much clueless about
the internals of KIO ;-)

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org