List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion for Kicker....
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-19 9:09:08

Peter Thorstenson wrote:

> Hi Hackers!
>
> First I must say that you all are doing a great job. KDE2 is really looking
> great.
> You are trying to make KDE2 as user friendly as possibel, right?
> Well I have noticed something that I do not find very user friendly.
> It has to do with the panel "Kicker" and the plugin that shows the different
> programs that are running at the moment. For an example have a look at this
> screenshot:
>
> http://www.mosfet.org/mydesktop.gif
>
> Each button has the icon for the program. After that you have the name of
> the program running. This is OK. But have a look at the button for The
> Advanced Editor. It says: "file:/usr/mosfet/we..."  . What is the name of
> the document that is being edited?
> Wouldn't it be easier if is showed: "...webpage/index.html"?
>
> If you are editing many webpages, but with different names, at the same time
> the buttons would all look the same: "file:/usr/mosfet/we..." . To me this
> is very confusing and time consuming. To find the right window an switch to
> it, you have to click through all the buttons one by one to finally find the
> window you wanted.
Well, this has two sides. If you edit a lot of index.docbook files it
will
look like "...index.docbook" and doesn't help you either.

> This shure this does not only apply for The Advanced Editor.
> My suggestion is to make an option i Kickers setup in which way you want to
> display text on the buttons.

And how? This problem "make texts short enough" isn't limited to kicker,
but
happens everywhere where only limited space is for filename and similiar
titles.
You seem to prefer the "show last chars", mosfet implemented "show first
chars"
and the third alternative I could think of "hide the middle -
"file:/usr...index.html"

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.