List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ACL's in Konq
From:       Michael Matz <matzmich () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2000-04-14 0:09:57

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Charles wrote:
> I think that Konq should have pseudo-support for Access Control Lists (even
> though I don't know of anyone that uses it :)

I know at least one, that's me ;)
(I'm in an AFS cell, where one can have per directory ACL's)

> I'm proposing a generic class for it (where everything is a pure
> virtual :) and for each FS that needs it, just write a module and have
> Konq load it via dlopen.  That way, it's portable, not required, and
> pretty simple.

I also thought a little bit about ACL support lately. First I only wanted
to make a standalone program for changing ACLs. Then I thought too it
would be cool, if konqueror would support another tab (we already have
permissions, there it would fit). As konqui and friends use KIO-slaves for
all this, it would have to be implemented in the kio_file. There already
is a generic mechanism for arbitrary data per directory entry (UDSEntry).
We would have to introduce other types of UDSAtom's and simply emit them.

(Hi David, remember me wanting potentially more UDSAtom types ? ;-) )

As it takes potentially time to retrieve the ACLs I wouldn't normally emit
them in a stat() call, but instead would introduce another Job function
(get_acl/put_acl), and make konqueror use these on user request (per
opening the dialog box).

On the topic of dynamic modules. I think, if one makes a special kio_file
which that support its enough. Dynamically loading other modules from
dynamic loaded modules seems like overkill to me. OTOH it may be easier to
extend in this way for other file systems (I already played a little bit
with DFS, but it's not in production or even regular use by me).

> Or is this KDE2.1? :)

Definitly. If I only had more time ;)

Ciao,
Michael.