List:       kde-devel
Subject:    the germ of an idea
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-04-11 15:48:09

howdy!

while struggling to put xplanet on my kde2 desktop, i asked, half
jokingly, if there were a color in the kde palette called "clear."
but that would, actually, not be a bad idea.

i'm thinking of a "color" that behaves exactly like any other
specified color in the desktop (or elsewhere), but that never
actually paints anything to the screen. i d'n't know the extent to
which it could be made to have other uses, but it seems as if it
could be employed, too, as a background or foreground color to
produce super-transparent applications of all sorts.

is there any particular roadblock to this? seems to me that a
placeholder for the color, but that doesn't do anything, would be
fairly simple to implement. and applied not just to the desktop but
to, for instance, some window elements in the colors dialog, it could
produce some tremendously striking desktops, easily. (for instance --
imagine an autohidden kicker, when that's enabled, with the
background set to clear. moving the mouse to the edge would cause the
contents of kicker to appear, but not kicker itself.)

no, this idea isn't the result of drugs -- at least not recent
ones.<g>
--
dep
__