List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Session Management Server README
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-04-10 18:36:00

Am Fre, 07 Apr 2000 schrieb Ming W. Poon:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> I have not got KDE 2 up and running myself yet so I have to ask. Does \
> this new session manager takes into account of restoring apps in \
> different virtual desktops like they were before the previous session was \
> ended? For example, if I have kMail running on vd1 and kUser running in \
> vd4, would they be restored in the right virtual desktops or will they \
> all be restored in vd1? Thanks.

To avoid confusion: the old session management also restored applications \
on the prior virtual desktop, at least KDE applications. The problem with \
the X11R4/R5 protocol of KDE-1.x was, that window properties had to be \
stored by the application. Apps like Netscape didn't know how KDE manages \
virtual desktops, so the information simply was lost.

The new X11R6 protocol lets the window manager store geometry information, \
and kwin (like most other wms nowadays) does this.  That means: any \
application talking XSMP will be restored on the right virtual desktops \
with with right properties (like sticky, maximized, etc.)

Unfortunately not too many apps talk XSMP yet, Netscape for example \
doesn't. But that's nothing we can fix, I'm afraid.

Matthias