List:       kde-devel
Subject:    trouble with kio_slaves not disconnecting (and some more witrh k
From:       Bjoern Kahl <Bjoern.Kahl () kiel ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       2000-04-10 15:09:04

 Hallo !

 [Please ignore all spelling and grammar mistakes.]

 While trying to figure out how kio_* in works in detail,
 I find the following behavior, which might create bug-reports
 after a release:

 When I enter an url like "ftp://bj@localhost" in konqi, I can see
 my homedir. Ok.

 But when I go back  (lets say "file:xxx") or even close all
 konqi-windows, the kio_ftp-slave still is connected to localhost.
 For people doing packet-driven dial-on-demand, this could be
 really annoing, because it may keeps the link up in case of
 a remote host.

 Unfortunately, this allready existing connection is not always
 re-used:
 After browesing two or three dirs and loading a file, I have 6
 active ftp-logins (and only two kio_ftp-processes!)

 When I use two konqi-windows, both showing my homedirectory via ftp,
 I get serveral times asked for my password. I don't think, users
 will understand why.

 This permanent reconnecting has one more disadvantage:
 Consider a highly loaded ftpserver somewhere. It might be, I
 manage to login once, but there is no guarantee, that any
 following login will succeed. (Just imagine a lot of people
 run kde and always flood a server with 4+ connection. This
 could be considered a distributed-DOS-attack. :-) )

 Please correct me, when I am wrong, but
 as far as I understand, kio-slaves are supposed to be shared between
 apps. This is perfectly ok for stateless protocolls like http, but I
 don't see how this can work with state-tracking protokolls like ftp.
 Doesn't these need a closure binding between the slave and the app?

 Any comments ?

 Bjoern