List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How things work in KDE once in code freeze mode [Was Re: ISO/IEC
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-31 5:33:44

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Ming Poon wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am a bit curious about how things will work once you folks hit feature
> freeze or code freeze stage in KDE 2.0. Does KDE branch off to an
> unstable branch like other open source projects?

I think there wasn't any decision on this direction. I, however, believe
and hope that no unstable branch will be created. KDE-2 needs a lot of
work as is. All help we can get should be gently directed into polishing
KDE-2 very very well.

> I think it is a bit too late for the rest of our developers to join
> your feature freeze cycle as it will take us some time to ramp up but
> we are starting. Nevertheless, there are still several areas and new
> control panel modules that we would like to start from scratch. These
> for sure will not make it in KDE 2.0 in time. Where should we put
> these projects in KDE's CVS tree and not affected by your code freeze?

Only kdelibs freezes now. Please look at
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.0-release-plan.html

Freezing doesn't mean that no code modif is possible. It's just that only
bug fixes are accepted.

> On several side notes, I have also secured half a dozen of our full time
> QA people to help you folks with the KDE 1.9 cycle. That is the least we
> can do for now to contribute to KDE 2.0 until our developers catch up
> with your stream of code. So do expect a lot of bug reports from us
> whenever your beta cycle is ready.

Excellent. Ah! And no need to wait for the beta cycle. Any help we get now
is very welcome.

> We have also offered our help to several developers with bug fixing
> and the tasks on the open tasks page. Unfortunately, that page is
> hopelessly outdated as most of the tasks that we volunteered are
> already taken or done. Oh well!

Hmmm! As one of the main maintainers of that page, I wonder what you mean.
I just added two jobs  a few days ago. True that both were just taken away
immediatly, but what can I do if there is such a large interest in KDE?
:-)

Anyways, the page is pretty carefully maintained. If there are problems
inthere, please let me know directly.

I intend to add a few other jobs. And I'm eager to get any interesting
suggestion for jobs.

> We have also finally hired a full time UI designer for KDE to help you
> folks with any UI design issue. His name is Tom Heferek and he is a very
> senior UI designer with lots of experience. However, he is new to Linux
> and KDE so give him some time to ramp up and he will join the kde
> look&feel group as soon as he settles in. (He only started with us two
> days ago.) It took us almost 6 months to find a good and experienced UI
> designer for KDE.

Excellent thing. Thanks, Corel. Could we get some press coverage on this -
using Mr. Heferek's credentials as arguments -  ?

> We are also looking into integrating our Windows and NFS connectivity
> code with KDE 2.0 as well but I don't expect we will have a good
> solution on this soon enough for KDE 2.0.

Well, kde-2 already has good SMB support. I need to understand what you
mean by NFS connectivity. NFS is transparent for the user, normally.

> We are also in the process of migrating some of our existing control
> panels in Corel LINUX to KDE 2.0 as well. I am opened to suggestions
> so please let me know on how we can help further. Otherwise, we will
> just wait patiently for KDE 1.9 and let our QA team do the work.
> Thanks.

There is a discussion about reorganizing the standard hierarchy in
KControl going on on the kde lists. Please, invite on our behalf your
experts in KControl to join the discussion.

About the Corel kcontrol modules, Corel developers will find out the
technology changed quite a bit, but the porting isn't rocket science. An
essential thing about KControl modules is that they need to be portable.
We planned to add a KDE main package containing only Linux code, and
perhaps Corel involvment will help us to get this done faster.
Unfortunately, there could be problems even with Debian-to-other-Linuces
portability, so this will have to be carefully planned.

Thanks, Corel. We're waiting for this since long :-)

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org