List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Installation of application icons
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-30 23:00:01

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 05:59:57PM +0200, Geert Jansen wrote:
> Jockel123@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > Where should I install icons of my application (toolbars etc.) ?
> >
> > Does am_edit provide an option (icon name) for this ?
>
> Currently, there are 3 ways of doing this. It depends on whether you have
> only one version of each icon, or more with different sizes and depths.
>
> Case 2: you have multiple versions of each icon, and you want to install
> them global with respect to KDE.
>
> Name the icons according to the kde icon naming scheme, see
> kdelibs/pics/hicolor/*.
>
> Makefile.am:
>
>    KDE_ICON = file1, file2

(Note: or KDE_ICON = AUTO, for all files in the directory)

> KIconLoader:
>
>   pixmap = loader->loadIcon("file1", KIcon::*);
>
> this will load the correct size, depth of the icon.
>
> Case 3: You have multiple versions, and you want to install them local to
> your application. Idential to case 2, except:
>
> Makefile.am:
>
>   datadir = $(kde_datadir)/myapp/icons
>   data_ICON = file1, file2

Question : will the icon-loader find the icons there ?
I couldn't find the code in kdecore that is supposed to do that...

Or does the app has to do something like
KGlobal::dirs()->addResourceType("icon", ... ) ?

Other question: Toolbars. The RMB offers 3 sizes, which match
    case KIconLoader::Small:
	group_or_size = -16;
	sci = true;
	break;
    case KIconLoader::Medium:
	group_or_size = -32;
	sci = true;
	break;
    case KIconLoader::Large:
	group_or_size = -48;
	sci = true;
	break;

..... but ... what about 22, the size where we have most toolbar icons ???

Should Small be 22 ?
Should we have 16/22/32 instead ?

The strange thing is that it still works for most icons because they get
resized, but this problem explains e.g. the missing animated logo
in konqueror (which is 22x22 currently!)

/me, completely confused.

http://home.clara.net/faure/