List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Difference between i18n and i10n
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () jadzia ! capsi ! cx>
Date:       2000-03-29 21:52:48

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:39:22PM +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > l10n = localization (country-specific settings such as how to represent
> >            numbers, dates, money, ...)
> > i18n = internationalization (translations)
>
> Btw, does anybody knows why are they called with those names ?
> I've been wondering for a long time :-)

Basically it's as simple as: both are very long names and people are lazy.
Localization is 10 characters, internationalization is 18, hence l10n en
i18n.

I'm afraid I cannot tell you who started doing it where and when, though.
Perhaps it's in the Jargon File? (www.jargon.org)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.cx cap@atomickitten.cx cap@loves.lana.cx