List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KWin Development
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-28 17:48:33

Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> > Both smb://host/sharename and smb:// are invalid URLs, it appears.
> > smb:/ expands to smb:///, which is valid
>
> The first 2 were valid before, and should still be, the last 2 not.
> I don't know what's happening, but I'll have a look.

No, they are *not* valid and never were :-)  I know that the smb
ioslave used to support smb://, but KURL no longer does as it is a
"wrong" URL (apparently).  Note that this has nothing to do with smb
or the ioslave.. it's completely about how valid the URL *itself* is.

The format for a URL is (*roughly*) like so:

protocol://host/path

If we don't know or care about the host or path, then it looks like:

protocol:///

It's common convention to shorten that to:

protocol:/

But what would this mean:?

protocol://
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix