Hello. I'm the author of Busycursor, and I'm really happy about your interest in this issue. Additionally, I think it would be nice if both Gnome and KDE could find a solution to this problem. >> I saw another way to get a clue about which app is behind a window >> in scwm: Use LD_PRELOAD when starting a program to load a library >> that overrides XCreateWindow() and sets a property with the pid >> whenever a window is opened. >> I guess, depending on preferences, you would call this either really >> cool or really ugly... >Sounds like a good idea to me. Does it always work properly in scwm ? >If so, I think we should use it. We could add a line to the desktop >files of apps that are 'compliant' (set WM_COMMAND) to say they >work and use this for the rest. Using WM_COMMAND is not a reliable solution, IMHO, because so many things can change it. Starting an X-app from a script, for example, gives no clue about the WM_COMMAND to kicker etc. This weekend, I've been testing the LD_PRELOAD approach. It seems to work very well, actually. I've made some changes to the SCWM source, and also hacked a tool that can be used for tracing the launch. The use of the process PID has no value, IMHO, because of the shell-script issue. It's better to set an uniq environment variable which can be used the trace which new windows are created from the launched process. Roughly, one do: XALF_LAUNCH_ID=4017 xlock and waits for this window property to appear. I'v put together some comments on my webpage: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~altic/xalf/. There you can also find some sources. Comments are appreciated. /Peter Åstrand