List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Crazy KControl Idea
From:       Rivyn (Casey Shobe) <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-18 18:58:51

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Steve Hutton wrote:
> I was just thinking that the options in KControl are getting
> quite extensive, and it will take users a while to get everything
> set up the way they like it.

*nods* - it would be nice if there were a View, Advanced Options in kcontrol
*hint hint*...

> My idea is that we take advantage of the fact that these
> options are stored in simple config files and provide the
> user with an option to "get settings from file."

I agree - it could be as simple as the kde 1.1.2 theme adding, it just moves a
file to the proper location, but works nicely.  I can see a File, Get Settings
From File, giving you a box where you can browse and find the file - however I
think that the tar.gz ought to be renamed to a .kcontrol - just so that people
don't get confuzed - this would keep themes from being loaded as kcontrol
settings, and vice versa.  Maybe even a File, Export Settings to file, to do it
for you.

> There could be one global kcontrol.tar.gz file, which
> contains all the config files KControl writes to.  KControl
> would be able to untar the global file appropriately
> and apply the changes.  KControl would also provide
> users with a way to export the kcontrol.tar.gz.

*nods* see above paragraph - I'm getting ahead of myself.

> Users could even share kcontrol.tar.gz files with each
> other, or name their config files based on look and feel.

Indeed, in fact this could become a part of themes, or something like a theme.
I think it's a great idea.  What does everyone else think on this?

--
- Rivyn [ Casey Allen Shobe ]
- rivyn@mailandnews.com [ UIN: 1494523 ]