List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Crazy KControl Idea
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-03-18 18:41:20

I was just thinking that the options in KControl are getting
quite extensive, and it will take users a while to get everything
set up the way they like it.

My idea is that we take advantage of the fact that these
options are stored in simple config files and provide the
user with an option to "get settings from file."

There could be one global kcontrol.tar.gz file, which
contains all the config files KControl writes to.  KControl
would be able to untar the global file appropriately
and apply the changes.  KControl would also provide
users with a way to export the kcontrol.tar.gz.

Users could even share kcontrol.tar.gz files with each
other, or name their config files based on look and feel.

Steve