List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensaver port ('The Matrix')
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-17 17:30:00

Thorsten Westheider wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > Thorsten Westheider wrote:

> > > Uh, come on Stefan, what's KDE specific on the screen savers
> > > that are already in the repository? I've seen most of them
> > > when I was running fvwm quite some time ago (and some are still
> > > as ugly as they were then)...
> >
> > Yes, that's true. We should remove even more instead of doubling even
> > more.
>
> Maybe even remove all but the blank saver and replace them
> by URLs pointing to xscreensaver ftp mirrors, would reduce
> doubled code greatly; and while we're at it, let's remove
> the wallpapers as well, unicolor/gradient fill should be
> enough for everyone (just couldn't resist the sarcasm ;).
> In this sense every port of a non-KDE application to KDE
> is actually doubling code which, according to your opinion,
> makes no sense. Did I get you right?

No, as xscreensavers are very good integrated into KDE while
non-KDE applications are by default not.
the comment about the wallpapers is right and the reason we
wanted to introduce kde-medias - something we delayed it seems :)

xscreensaver makes KDE better the same as an installed samba
makes the smb code better. Or a database makes ksql better, etc.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.