List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Segmentation fault handling
From:       "Timo Hummel" <dj_rune () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-03-17 15:57:35

Hi,

since I'm currently implementing the segfault handler, I came up to a little
problem with the visual feedback.

I found 3 different solutions:

1.) Kicker or the desktop (I'm not sure which one does the job) displays the
SIGSEGV or SIGFPE error via DCOP (altough I`m not sure if I understood the
DCOP concepts). I would need help with that since I dont know much about
DCOP.

2.) The crashed app creates an own dialog to inform the user. Problem: A
dialog needs a KApplication instance first, and KApplication needs the argc
and argv ar guments, where I dont know where to get these from.

3.) The app spawns a new app (especially for displaying error messages, like
Dr. Watson under WinNT) which displays the error via command line
parameters.

Which of these three is the most suitable or most useful method? Also, if
you got new ideas,please tell me.

Thanks for your feedback,
Timo Hummel