List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kword (koffice) difference between quit and close ?
From:       Rob Napier <rnapier () employees ! org>
Date:       2000-03-15 15:00:11

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 07:45:16AM +0100, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> David Faure schrieb:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 07:54:05PM +0100, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > I assume
> > > "close" should close only the document -
> > 'only' is misleading here, see below.
> > > and "quit" quit the application.
> > > Currently both do the same - "quit"
> > Nope.
> >
> > If you have two views of the same document, close closes
> > the document (both views), whereas quit closes the window only
> > (the other view remains).
>
> Actually I would expect "close" to close the window and "quit" to close
> all kword instances.
> Well, I can follow your thoughts, but it's not intuitive with only
> "close" and "quit". (Don't let's discuss about intuitivness now.)
> Remember that many people will come from windows applications with the
> opposite meaning of this menu items. We need not copy windows, but there
> should be an introduction for new kword users which mentions at first
> this pretty subtile difference. Otherwise we can expect thousands of
> mails regarding this topic. :-(

It's not just a Windows issue. X apps also often do it this way.
Close is for the window, quit is the entire app. Netscape is a good
example (if it's a good example of anything). GIMP is another good
example.

If you still want the feel described above, then I would recommend
File->Close, File->Close All, and Window->Close to handle the various
things. If the app can't exist without a document, then there's no
need for a "quit". Of course, I would argue that there are good
reasons to have an app up with no documents loaded. Primary reason is
so I can use the configuration menus, but the other reason is so I can
leave the app up even when I'm not working on anything in particular
to avoid the expense of starting the app again.

In either case, I would recommend against having "Close" and "Quit" do
the opposite of what they do in GIMP and Netscape (as well as most
Windows apps).

Rob