List:       kde-devel
Subject:    cache expiry -- Re: konqueror (mime-types/icons)
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-12 14:57:25

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > Actually, though it's a little weird that the icons update out-of-order,
> > what would make a difference would be if the mime types were cached,
> > so if you open home, move somewhere, and move back, the icon images
> > are shown immediately. Did I just volunteer ? ;)
> >
> Oh, just make sure they are dropped very soon. I don't want to see
> another
> memory eating cache

BTW. Is there a configuration GUI *and* API for the ksycoca expiry and I'm
too fluffy to find it?

It seems to me that (for example) ^K menu's cache expires very fast (or
isn't that one ksycoca based?) If I visit the menus at more than 2-3
minutes interval, the whole menu items loading operation is redone, and on
machines with 32 MB and 50MHz (Sparc5), this takes a whole lot of time.
I'd like to be able to choose that certain caches *never* expire.

(Sorry for writing this without documenting myself from the sources )

Cristian Tibirna