List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: notice recurring issue
From:       Thorsten Westheider <thorsten.westheider () teleos-web ! de>
Date:       2000-03-11 10:13:25

"David D.W. Downey" wrote:

> > In the last 24 hours you posted about 30 or more messages. Could you
> > please
> > stop making such noice? This mailing list is about development not about
> > "hey, I have a problem". It's not that we don't want KDE to be
> > compilable,
> > but it doesn't help if you write a mail about every fucking warning out
> > there.
> >

> My purpose is to find out what is to be expevcted and what is not. I've
> reported problems with the CVS tree and compilation issues that were fixed
> BECAUSE i posted about them. My sole intent was to find out what was to be
> expected in the development process as I am learning on the fly.
>
> Would you have me go through thinking these were normal and then when
> stuff dies or blows up i go back to my normal haunts and then explain that
> KDE2 is trash and "You can forget about THAT peice of software working any
> time soon."
>
> Admittedly there have been a few posts I could have avoided, but these
> were done in my care to make sure that I am doing things right and not
> incorrectly judging things for mistakes that could well be of my own
> making.
>
> BUT, I shall take heed and attempt to limit my posts. If something bombs
> out then, oh well. Who knows if it was me or the software. ::shrug::

Nobody ever claimed KDE2 was ready for prime time, that's
why it's called pre-alpha, remember?
If things don't work out of the box (this applies to compilation
as well as run time behavior) you can either skip or fix it but
complaining will get you nowhere.
There is no such thing as 'playing safe' in development stages.
In fact, a buggy application could easily damage the harddrive
of your carefully built system, would you shift the blame
to the developer then (just as you shift it on the software
when it bombs out)?

The moral to the story: If you're afraid to damage your
system just don't install alpha software. But if you do,
don't think of it as 'crap' if it's not working the way
it's supposed to do, instead please help getting it fixed.

	Cheers,
	  Thorsten

--
Dipl.-Phys. Thorsten Westheider     / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
Im Schlingen 15                    / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /