List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Clarification of Konsole vs. Mini-Konsole integration request for Konqueror
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-03-11 5:02:54

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Rivyn (Casey Shobe) wrote:
> By itself, the konsole window will be no different from a regular
> konsole window.  However, say there are no konsole windows open in konqueror,
> if you type a cli program such as 'vim' into the mini-konsole, it will start
> the program in a konsole window within konqueror.

This cannot be the case.  Please read David's post on why on the other long
thread in this list here : http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=95270657224867&w=2

> Multiple konsole windows should be created for multiple programs.  Each
> window, be it FTP, HTTP, FILE, or KONSOLE, should be closeable, and the
> frames within each should be moveable > and individually closeable.

Why would you need an embeded konsole for remote protocols ?  Rememebr you just
stated that the embedded konsole should follow the current working directory
which is correct.  However, how would that work for an FTP and HTTP protocols ?
To deal with ftp from the command line you need FTP client tools.  HTTP in most
cases is worthless as you can not even browse the directories.  Best you can do
is telnet or again other client side command tools.  This IMHO is wrong.

> I'm talking about an extremely advanced, yet remarkably easy to use piece of
> software, something that would scare the hell out of Bill Gates.  Something
> that would make Linus Torvalds take a few days off programming just to play
> with it.  The perfect combination of elegance, customizeability, ease of use,
> and stability.

Is there such software ??  Although I think konqy is indeed very elegant and
very customizable and easy to use :)

Dawit A.