List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Some Inspiration for Konqi Developers
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-03-10 12:37:06

> On Fre, 10 Mär 2000, Rivyn (Casey Shobe) wrote:
> > Need some fresh ideas?  Getting bored?  Check out the following
screenshot (of
> > a program called FileRunner, a File Manager for Unix)
> >
> > http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~hch/screenshot.html
> >
> > Lacks simplicity, but contains some very nice features. Maybe a couple
of them
> > could be integrated in konqueror?
>
> Which features do you mean exactly ?

I didn't get very excited either :-)

> It looks quite like a graphical [NM]C  clone.
> Isn't the integrated command line the only thing konqy can't
> do right now ?
Looks like - and I have some plans for that in konq :)

> Btw. would it be somehow possible to open in one view of konqy a shell
> (konsole) ?
Either one view (making konsole a part), or just a one-line command line
(Dawit suggested reusing or sharing minicli's code, to which
I added that it would need to become current-directory aware)

Those solutions are very much different. A view would enable to do
everything you would do with a shell, and previously I thought it
would be stupid (if the view has to be big and take the other's
views space then it's useless and better use konsole directly)
But the filerunner screenshot shows that a 4 or 5 lines shell
can be useful, so why not.

A minicli-like solution would enable to do commands that apply
on the files shown above (cp/mv/rm/conversions/...)
and see the result in the other views, as opposed to in
the standard output. And of course to launch applications.

The konsole solution looks better then (more features), but
turning konsole into a part is not that easy I guess... :)

David.