List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kcontrol suggestion
From:       Andre Charbonneau <gexcfxyy () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-03-09 14:06:51

David Smith wrote:

> I have been working a little with a couple of kcontrol modules
> lately, and this is a thing a have been thinking about.
>
> If you hit "Default" in the control center, all modules I have looked
> at will give you hard coded default settings, which are then saved in
> the user configuration file under ~/.kde.  I think it would be good
> if there was a way to go back to the system wide configuration file
> instead.  One way to do it (GUI wise) would be to have two buttons:
> "System default" and "App default".  The modules for which this
> doesen't make sense could just have a "Default" button as before.
>
> To make this easy to do in the modules, I guess there would have to
> be support in some KDE classes (KStandardDirs, KConfig) to not use
> the user configuration file, and a way to delete it or locate it
> without possibly finding another file if it doesen't  exist.  (Or is
> there already a way to do that?)
>
> /David

I think this is a good idea.  It would be very usefull if the 'System
default' button for localization stuff would set localization settings
to those given at the system level, using low-level C calls (such as
localeconv or nl_langinfo) to access the settings).  This way, if the
user changes its locale using the LANG environment variable, then the
KDE apps would be set to these locale settings simply by clicking the
'System default' button in the localization related panels.

Cheers,
--
Andre Charbonneau
Software Engineer