List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: visibility?
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-03-09 12:08:30

Michael Koch wrote:
> Am Thu, 09 Mar 2000 schrieb Hummel, Timo:
> > > That would be KDE-specific and does not works with non-KDE-apps.
> >
> > Yes, thats right, but I don't think its a reason not to try it. :)
>
> The blinking have to begin when the kernel starts loading the app. And it must
> be stopped to blink when its loaded. Right ?
>
> Blinking can be started e.g. when the user clicks on the K-menu-entry. But when
> should it stop when its a non-kde-app ?

I've not been following this thread closely but I have a few thoughts.

I think the best solution mentioned thus far is the LD_PRELOAD trick.
LD_PRELOAD won't go away, lots of other stuff depends on it and it's been
there for a long time. It shouldn't impact security either because it is
ignored for suid apps. Non-X apps would not work, of course.

Another (horrible kludge) would be to ptrace() the program and wait until
it select()'s. This gives it a hight probability of waiting for input from
the X server. I just straced a few (albeit small) X programs and the first
select() they all did is on the X socket.

Another idea: create a little kicker applet that shows the instantaneous
system load, refreshed fast, something like 10x a second. Although this
doesn't say what apps are loading when, I think the user will discover a
correlation between an app loading and an increased system load quickly,
thus giving the required feedback.

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>