List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Any C developer around?
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-03-09 0:29:35

   Hi!

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 08:19:52PM +0300, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> > On Die, 07 Mär 2000, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> >
> > > KDE2.0 will ship with aRts as soundserver, but I know that there are lots
> > > of apps which are written plain C. It would be nice to have their output
> > > on aRts as well, too, but people will definitely don't go for C++ due
> > > to that.
> >
> > what about a esd compatible plain C interface? sure the C users will loose
> > the advanced arts functionality, but it'll make porting C based apps really
> > easy.
>
> If noone volunteers before monday, I may give it a try[1]. And yes, a
> esd-like API is probably the better way.
>
> What are the aRts dependencies?

The current linking line is

-lsoundserver_idl -lartsflow -lartsflow_idl -lmcop -ldl

(there you see what automatic libtool resolution saves you). This of course
also implicitely pulls in libstdc++. What may help to keep it clean is
using ltdl for pulling in the required libs dynamically, so that the app
developer would only link against _one_ aRts C Api library (and -ldl).

Look at kdelibs/arts/examples/*capi* - thats what I've done until now.

   Cu... Stefan