List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: visibility?
From:       "Hummel, Timo" <timo.hummel () sap ! com>
Date:       2000-03-08 7:57:41

this is maybe a funny thought, but how about this:

AFAIK, it is possible to catch a segmentation fault.
AFAIK, every KDE application is based on C++ and you can put some extra code
into the init code of a class.

This gives me 2 ways to solve both problems:

1.) Whenever a segmentation fault is catched (I guess this could also be
implemented in the KApplication base class),
    the application shows some error message. Additionally, an application
programmer could overload the
    crash method (name it whatever you like) to save important data, or to
save debug informations.

2.) Whenever KApplication initializes, the user gets some visual feedback
(like a progress bar or a simple message
    box that the application is loading right now).

I don't think this is very hard to realize, and would only require that
current applications re-compile. If there are
enough requests to show this on existing applications, I would start to make
a patch for the current KDE 2 snapshot
and try this on some applications. If it works well, why don't we use it?

Laters
Timo