At 10:56 AM 3/8/00 +1100, you wrote: >But I thought we talked about this and you confirmed it was much better in the >head branch (I mean a while go when KMail was working). > >I guess it's still going to be a bit slow it you have a large inbox. But if your >inbox is smallish then after an initial once of caching calculation KMail >should start up in a reasonable amount of time (in the HEAD branch). > >No? Sorry, It was not my intetion to confuse you :) It was just to hint that a "launch indicator" can be very handy sometimes. The KDE-2x version seems indeed faster, but I have not yet been able to test that one with a "Mail" directory on an NFS partition. I tried the KDE-2 version on a machine with a local (quite large) Mail directory and compared with the stock 1.1.2 version it launched faster. btw1: I am a bit reluctant to use the KDE-2 regularily since it is still in development. If I use the KDE-2 version and then go back to the KDE-1 version the username/password setting on my pop account is corrupted. This happend a few weeks ago but I was busy forgot to tell anyone else about that. btw2: Would not be an advantage to launch the app, make it visible and only then start the scanning of Mail directory? I would try with a oneShotTimer and in the slot (which is activated with a zero delay) do something like: slotStartupLoadMail() { while( isVisible() == false ) // Perhaps with a timeout { processOneEvent(); } startupLoadMail(); } but perhaps something similar is planned or already done? > >BFN, >Don. > >On Wed, 08 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote: >> On Tue, 07 Mar 2000, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote: >> >Huh???????? >> > >> >Please run Netscape, click on a link and wait for the page. You'll see a >> >watch cursor if you're on the netscape page. Move it away from Netscape >> >window - the cursor is back to X. >> > >> >So whats the problem with this? >> >> That is not a problem :) The problem appears when there is no window because >> the app. is loading. >> >> Speaking about load times. Try to start kmail with the "Mail" directory on an >> NFS partition (with 18 months+ of kde maillist mails). That is quite "fun" :) >> -- Espen Sand