List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: visibility?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-03-07 10:23:39

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, aleXXX wrote:

> On Die, 07 Mär 2000, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > If we're talking about Kicker - how about this simple idea (I did this idea
> > long time ago on my Atari ST back then)
> >
> > A simple LED which changes it colours:
> >
> > Bright Red (means) Loading..
> > Dark Red (doing nothing) ... Machine is idle..
> > Yellow - Segmentation fault..
> >
> > What do u think? (and please - flames to /dev/null)
>
> I think the GUI for this is not the main problem.
> How about a small animation showing how konqy hatches out his egg ? ;-)
>
> And this time I ask :-)  : do you volunteer for implementing the
> app-is-still-loading-or-crashed-or-finished-or-whatever detection in
> kicker/kwin/kwhatever ?
>
> Or a simple indicator if cpu-workload is above e.g. 50 % ?

Hmmm... I am thinking (yeah, it must be march :-). The point of the
startup feedback is so the user doesn't start the app too many times,
right?

Well, in that case, we don't really need it to be too smart ;-)

What about giving feedback for a fixed period of time (say, 3 seconds?).

It should ideally be there long enough for the app to do something
visible, but that's too system dependent. A simple way to benchmark it is
to run once a small KApplication that maps a window. The time until the
window is mapped + 1 second, would be a good feedback length.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul