List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: visibility?
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-03-07 16:12:58

> If we're talking about Kicker - how about this simple idea (I
> did this idea long time ago on my Atari ST back then)
Hehe, don't make me nostalgic... :)

> A simple LED which changes it colours:
>
> Bright Red (means) Loading..
> Dark Red (doing nothing) ... Machine is idle..
> Yellow - Segmentation fault..
>
> What do u think? (and please - flames to /dev/null)

Too late, here's the flame:

the problem is NOT about the way to show that to the user,
but about the way to implement this, possibly so that it works
with non-KDE apps.
Do you think it's as simple as saying "I want a 3-color led" ?
Deciding on the user interface for this feature is really
not the hard bit, and is really secondary, given
the current status.

Please read those three posts:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&w=2&r=1&s=kicker+indication&q=b

You'll see that the problem was discussed before, that
a lot of thinking has already been done on the what and how,
and IIRC that some code was also started.
I don't know why it didn't get further though,
and while we don't have an answer from Rik, it is
strictly useless to go on with this discussion, IMHO.

David.