List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Another kmail thought...
From:       Mark Deneen <deneen () bucknell ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-07 12:33:51

Actually, it's not.

If you operate out of somedomain.org, and you want one user from someoneelse.com
to be able to send mail through your server it is useful.

You would not, for example, want all of AOL to be on your accept list.  You
also don't want yourself to be open to relaying, or your server will be used to
send spam.

So, someone came up with the idea that you check your mail with pop, and it
registers your IP with the mailer daemon.  That ip "sticks around" for about 10
minutes, then gets tossed away.  If within that 10 minutes you go to use smtp
to send, it allows you to do so.

--
Mark Deneen
http://tick.dhs.org ICQ: 333068