List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: AW: Changing of GNOME's Menu Structure
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-03 12:33:45

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Fre, 03 Mär 2000, Harri Porten wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > I have installed recent SuSE's KDE 1.1.2 kompletely. When I open some of
> > > the items mentioned above I have to click 4 times "more" to get to the
> > > last item. And as the number of programs will increase dramatically (I
> > > hope) we need a finer subclassification - and sometimes more
> > > selfexplaining names of the items.  Example kdf. The explaining bubble
> > > helps of course, but you have to move the cursor on the item to get it.
> > >
> > > I suggest the following rule for subclassing: a menue-item should usually
> > > never contain more items than can be displayed on ONE screen eventually
> > > in multiple columns (even on 15')  .
> >
> > Tell that to SuSE ;)
> >
> > Seriously. Of course, menues should not be crowded. But it can't be
> > really ruled out as every user is free to install whatever and how many
> > applications he can. As we don't know all current or future apps we have
> > a problem.
> >
> > Apart from *trying* to limit the number of items in each menu per design
> > we *have* to implement a mechanism to scroll or split them.
>
> I don't know if we talk about the same thing: But since Qt 2.1 (some
> snapshot) a popup menu automatically arranges the items in multiple columns
> if they don't fit into one column anymore.

Yeah, and fill the complete screen in kicker's file browser... I like
the scrolling
of Mac and win98 way better. Even the way motif does it (or does it
netscape?) with
this More... -> item is easier to handle with 2000 items. I know it's
partly kicker's
to not block 2000 items from beeing shown, but the several items thing
isn't easy to
use I must say.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.