List:       kde-devel
Subject:    AW: KDE, Gnome, Koffice, Goffice and more
From:       "Ferdinand Gassauer" <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2000-03-02 9:59:08

Hi!
Interesting WEB-Page but please have a look at the marketing aspect. That's
all what counts today to get a product to be widely used. Unfortunately the
history shows that many superior products failed mainly because of two
reasons
* wrong time
* wrong marketing

The question is
"what are the benefits for the user"
not
"what the product can do" - this is a very important technical matter though
for programmers, hackers and freaks (like me) but not for the desktop user.

I do not see that children complain about different look and feel of
different games.
I do see fear in the eyes of many (adults) that they might do things wrong
or ruin something.
In the office people have to get their jobs done, no matter how.
Children might find it funny how programs are called, adults probably prefer
self explaining wording.
Looking what most people do with their computers
* Games
* Office
* Internet
* Multimedia
If Linux wants to succed at the desktop we have to "sell" this - not
technical background.

And the KDE-project will need this sort of marketing - the technical
background is now already invented and available. Congratulations to
everyone who helped to develop this.

oops hope that wasn't too long
cu
ferdinand