List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE, Gnome, Koffice, Goffice and more
From:       Charles <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2000-03-01 23:27:17

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, dep wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, Charles wrote:
> | I've contacted quite a few people already.
> |
> | Rasterman is quite for it, and groovily, Havoc Pennington has already
> | (barely) begun such a thing-- and we're joining forces :)
>
> wow! thanks. you've begun what is potentially a tremendously
> significant step in the maturation of open source productivity
> software. if something good comes of this, it would be hard to
> overstate its importance.

Do you not also appreciate my code? :D
class Sulk;

I think it's about time.  The only thing that's stopping us from all the stuff
that we've been trying to get is ego.  Ego is the driving force behind open
source, but we still do get bragging rights :)

In disagreement with Alex's comments: "Perhaps I'm bitter or just overly
cynical but I think that the ego issue will be a continuing problem.  I'd
rather see an open dialog started, as we would feel less obligated to adopt
something because it's standard."  I believe that we should feel obligated to
stick to these standards.  Even if it results in our own code being more
complicated, less modular, or just there being more of it, it would in turn
make our users' lives much easier, and in the long run, our own.

Counting human nature is probably important.  In theory, what we're doing now
works, but in practice, Congress is best, even if they're slow and
incompetent-- but it's the most fair.

I've also drawn a "constitution."  I'm guessing it'l be reworded so that it
sounds more programmerish and less lawyerish.  But, nevertheless, I think it
works.  I've pasted it in below:

void bylaws()
{
Article the First (01):
  Desktop environments, shall be admitted to the committee under the conditions as follows:
   -The Desktop Environments must function properly on a minimum of two (2) distinct kernels
    and two (2) different CPU architectures.
   -The environment must be included in at least one (1) packaged(i) Unix distributions.

[i - Packaged meaning that it can be attained on physical medium)

Article the Second (02):
  At no time shall admittance or voice be hindered or advanced under the grounds of licensing,
  costs, or applicable operating systems.

Article the Third (03):
  The produced software must run on The X Windows Desktop System 11, revision 6, or later(ii)

(ii - This article shall be altered when seen fit, with standard voting procedures)

Article the Fourth (04):
  Each organization shall provide a maximum of two (2) direct persons, who shall all have
  an equal voting power.
   -Three members are a maximum for when the product is included in three(3), or more
    packaged(i) Unix distributions.

Article the Fifth (05):
  All members shall have limitless communication with their respective organization and
  users, under the following conditions:
    -Communication may not interfere with normal proceedings.
    -Communication may not delay voting procedures.
  All communcation may not be moderated, unless it breaks the above two rules.

Article the Sixth (06):
  Voting procedure shall not interfere with major(iii) debates within a 24 hour margin.

(iii- major is involving more than one third the members of the committee)

Article the Seventh (07):
  In the event of deadlock(iv), a revote shall be commited after a minimum of 48 hours of wait,
  during which, all choices may be reevaluted.

(iv- deadlock is defined as when voting does not declare a clear descision within a 60% margin)

Article the Eighth (08):
  The commitee will have voting power to remove a member.  The organization shall replace the
  removed person(s) with another of their choice.

Article the Ninth (09):
  Voting results may not be released out of the committee members until there is a clear
  result and victory.

Article the Tenth (10):
  Altering these bylaws requires a 75% victory margin for effects to occure.

Article the Eleventh (11):
  The time to cast votes must have a minimum of 48 hours, a vote may be changed at any time.

Article the Twelfth (12):
  Members of the committee may be changed at any time, under the choice of the respective
  organization.

Article the Thirteenth (13):
  If no opposition is seen to any certain point, voting is not necessary.

}

Somethings may not appear to make any sense (#1) while some of them seem to
make too much sense, especially for us KDEers (#2 :).  There's method to my
madness.

Another thing I want to point out: We're not going to limit this to OpenSource
goodies (CDE should be welcomed), and it's not going to be limited to
architecture or operating systems.  Well, as long as its a Unix, at least ;)

Feel free to prod it, or me :)

-Charles