List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE, Gnome, Koffice, Goffice and more
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-03-01 5:44:36

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Charles wrote:

> I believe it'd be much more productive than occasional emails to the Gnome
> lists, since it'd be something everyone could agree on, and there wouldn't be
> that ego issue with the "Our desktop is better than yours."
>
> Congress of Desktops?  Maybe.

Yes, and two hundred odd years ago, a congress of the people to govern a
set of colonies was thought to be a good idea.  :)

Perhaps I'm bitter or just overly cynical but I think that the ego issue
will be a continuing problem.  I'd rather see an open dialog started, as
we would feel less obligated to adopt something because it's standard.
As much as compatibility is an excellent idea, I worry that quality might
take a back seat to being compatible with an awkward de-facto standard.

- alex