List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Feel question
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-02-29 20:54:42

Hello,

	I am doing some large changes in KRN, and the thing that I am
doing now are progressbars, to show progress of downloads and such.

	I am doing this in a multithreaded fashion, so I have two choices
of how to do things.

a) Every time a piece of data comes, trigger an update on the bar
b) Trigger updates on the bar once in a while, say, every 1/5th of a
   second.

Pro a):

It provides a smooth progressbar, in that it goes through all the steps,
and even if the download is very quick, it still looks like the
progressbar worked. That makes it feel fast and smooth.

Pro b)

The progressbar update events don't take CPU from the download, so, while
it feels slower on very fast downloads (because the bar appears, does
nothing for a fraction of a second, then vanishes, and yes, that feel
slower, I tested it a bit), it actually works *faster* (I measured it ;-)

So, in the end, the question is: should it BE fast, or FEEL fast? It's a
tough choice :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul