List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror feature II
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () taniwha ! com>
Date:       2000-02-28 22:35:46

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> > > Renaming a file via the properties menu is unintuitive.
> >
> > But still there should be a faster way to do it too (like in-place renaming)
>
> I have no idea whether it's feasible or not, but what about
> triple-click?
> It's a quite common operation under Unix (select a line
> usually) and not yet used here.

I personally like the Mac way of doing it - basicly click on the label (not
the icon itself) to select it then hold the cursor in the same position to
trigger renaming (the label then becomes an editable text box that is closed
when you click elsewhere or type 'enter' - initially all the text is marked
selected so that typing the new name is all you need to do). A shortcut to the
1/2 second wait before editing starts is to click on the icon then type 'enter'
which opens the text immediately.

This all works because a single click on an icon (or it's text label) selects
it but doesn't launch it, while the double click is the 'verb form' that sais
'do it' - it probably doesn't in our world because we select something by
describing a box around it rather than clicking it (or it's label) directly.
(I'm not trying to restart the 1click/2click debate - just trying to add one
more datapoint on how it's done elsewhere)

We're probably getting refugees from the Mac world as well as the Windows
world, it would be nice to support lots of ways of doing this sort of thing and
let the user choose which sort of behaviour they want to use.

	Paul