List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-02-09 21:47:48

   Hi!

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 02:14:18AM +0100, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
> > > KAAPainter, KAAPaintDevice, KAAMetafile, KAAPrinter, KAAImage.
> > >
> > > In the base version KAAPrinter would send normal PS codes to a printer.
> > > Until we really need alpha-channel images or such, we don't need our own
> > > printer driver sub-system,
> > > perhaps we can print to KAAImage and output this on a printer?
>
> So what is the general opinion about such a graphics API?
>
> ( ) Qt does all we need, why invent something new?
> ( ) This would be an essential part of Qt/KDE
> (*) Interesting stuff, so if somebody wants to spend his time, we'll see
> whats happening
> ( ) [Your vote comes here]

I'll choose this one. Why? Look at KWord, KPresenter, KSpread. All of them
(but mainly KWord) could really need _exact_ WYSIWYG. It would be nice to
have that "view how that would look on my page" thing, or that "well, I want
KWord to be a whole screen wide, and still my text should look just exactly
like that if I print it".

I've seen that KPresenter for instance does have problems when you zoom
in/out (you do if you switch from editing to full screen presentation).

Things don't look exactly the same then. KWord has nothing like that at
all. It simply doesn't zoom. Changing the font sizes doesn't do the trick,
as things still look differently (e.g. if you have a 12 pixel font, it may
be that a line is 240 pixel wide, but if you choose a 14 pixel font, it may
not end up 280 pixel wide, since the font looks slightly different).

It's probably hard work to do it good, though. Perhaps if you have
implemented a bit of it (or a clear idea how some interfaces could look),
you should get in touch with the KOffice developers (there is a mailing
list, too), and offer to help integrate it in there.

At least to me it sounds like a good idea (however, I am not so deep in Qt
that I could tell how much you can do elegantly with Qt and where are limits
that you really can't pass).

   Cu... Stefan