List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: free instead of destructor
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-02-08 10:52:39

On Tue, 08 Feb 2000, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> I would any day argue that it stems from bad design not to be able to
> both allocate an object on the heap and on the stack. But I have not
> followed the discussion about this and therefore I don't know what
> made you all agree that it is all right to impose this restriction.
> Could someone enlighten me?

If you close a main-window, it deletes itself. This is impossible if it
is allocated on the stack.

The first main-window is typically allocated in main(). (Or in
newInstance()) However, the first doesn't need to be the last. For
example: start application (window 1 gets opened),open second window,
close window 1. So it's basically impossbile to make the one who creates
the window responsible for deleting it.

Cheers,
Waldo