On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Malte Starostik wrote: > Marcos Dione wrote: > > > inteligent? delete ain't "inteligent". try to delete a > > non-allocated object and you'll finish with a SIGSEGV. > > If you define non-allocated as a NULL pointer, what I interpreted your sentence > "destroys the object if and only if the object is allocated (is not a null > pointer)" > It won't segfault. A delete myobj with myobj == NULL will do just nothing. If > it's an invalid non-NULL pointer, your lost with Free either. I would any day argue that it stems from bad design not to be able to both allocate an object on the heap and on the stack. But I have not followed the discussion about this and therefore I don't know what made you all agree that it is all right to impose this restriction. Could someone enlighten me? (I'm not trying to reopen a debate; I just really want to know). But if it is necessary, why not just declare the new or delete operator private? This way you at least get a compile time error and a bunch of "why the he..." messages on kde-devel. -- Bo Thorsen gobo@imada.sdu.dk Lahnsgade 31, st. DK-5000 Odense C Tlf: +45 66 11 83 85