List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <schoenberger () signsoft ! com>
Date:       2000-02-03 19:07:16

> Well, they do get antialiased output on PCL printers, that ghostscript
> does not, but that should really be fixed on ghostscript instead of on all
> printing architectures, since the rasterizer DOES support antialiasing (as
> you can see on screen)

I can't really imaging what you need software anti-aliasing on a printer
need for?
Current printers should hat a dpi size of 600++, so I would see no
difference.
OTO I would really like to see antialiased graphics on my 75 dpi screen.
A similar effect can be get by Ghostscript if you render on a high
resolution (super-sampling)
and after that scale down with a smooth filter. However, this means mostly
mangling with
either Ghostscript or the PS code directly.

As far as I understand, libart (and so the other parts) renders directly
anti-aliased, without the need for a temporary super-sampled bitmap...

libart also provides functions for alpha-channel graphics, i.e.
transparency.
I haven't seen a printer where I can directly feed RGBA values, but perhaps
I only didn't look in the correct price areas :)

For the question about gnome-print <-> QPrinter, I would something like
gnome-print, but with Qt classes, e.g. (with suffix K for KDE and AA for
anti-alias...)

KAAPainter, KAAPaintDevice, KAAMetafile, KAAPrinter, KAAImage.

In the base version KAAPrinter would send normal PS codes to a printer.
Until we really need alpha-channel images or such, we don't need our own
printer driver sub-system,
perhaps we can print to KAAImage and output this on a printer?

Dirk