List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-02-03 8:12:37

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Martin Konold wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
>
> > There exist another layer in Gnome, gnome-print. Gnome-print provides
> > something of a
> > Gtk API for the common Postscript operators, which are rendered on different
> > backends, like a printer, a metafile or a bitmap/preview. The architecture
> > is similar to the QPainter/QPaintDevice combo.
> >
> > I would really like to see something like gnome-print in KDE, so if there is
> > further interest,
> > please let's discuss it. I have some basic classes for it, but there isn't
> > something to see until now. I contacted Raph Levien as author of libart, and
> > he has no problems with using it inside KDE.
>
> Hmm,.. I am getting the impression that GNOME does the better marketing.
> Please tell me the advantage of using gnome-print instead of QPrinter?

Well, they do get antialiased output on PCL printers, that ghostscript
does not, but that should really be fixed on ghostscript instead of on all
printing architectures, since the rasterizer DOES support antialiasing (as
you can see on screen)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul